The focus of the Benevolence Ministry is to assist, provide, or render aid to members of the body of Christ. Consideration will only be given to those who have experienced or are experiencing an unexpected severe interruption in their normal cash flow. Assistance is based on the following:
- Membership Tenure of at least six (6) months
- Funds availability
- No cash is given to applicants
- Check(s) are made payable to the VENDOR ONLY!
- Applicant (if a member) must be a TITHER or regular giver (in the case of a visitor) for the past (3) months on IBC’s records
- Assistance is granted no more than one time within a 12 month period
- If husband and wife are members, the husband must initiate the request
- A righteous lifestyle according to the Word of God and the teach of Bishop Victor S. Couzens
- Request may only be for Mortgage, Rent, Food, Gas & Electric, Water, or Prescription Medication
- Request may not exceed $300.00
1. Any call or letter from a person requesting assistance should be forwarded to the Membership Coordinator to verify Membership and to run a contribution report.
2. A Benevolence Request Form shall be completed for each request made.
3. The applicant request will be reviewed with Associate Pastor.
To verify if assistance is GRANTED or DENIED, the procedures listed below should be followed:
1. Obtain a completed Benevolence Request Form.
2. Conduct an initial interview with the applicant to:
a. Minister to the applicant and notify them of the guidelines
b. Secure additional information (i.e. bills, account numbers, due date, etc.)
c. Set a time to follow-up with the applicant. (All requests must be processed completely within 48 hours, if possible)
d. Forward a copy of Bishop Couzens “Prosperity Confession Of The Giver” to applicant
3. Verify the need of the applicant to determine the accuracy of the information given
4. The Assistant Pastor should make contact with the Secretary to verify previous assistance, if any granted. It is also referred to Bishop Couzens for a final approval determination.
5. Inform the applicant of the decision. If their request is approved, re-verify that you have the correct vendor information, and any account number that would apply. If their request is denied, give a brief explanation for denial and minister to the applicant again.
GUIDELINES: To determine if a request is GRANTED or DENIED, apply the following guidelines:
1. Check if applicant has pursued the possibility of acquiring assistance from Family members or friends.
2. FOOD REQUEST – This request is to be handled ASAP. It is the consensus of the ministry that no member or family of the ministry shall be without food; therefore, the applicant needs only to be a member. A gift certificate shall be purchased from Kroger’s in an amount not to exceed $50.00 depending on the following:
a. Number of family members
b. Frequency of food assistance requests is limited to three (3) per year
c. Amount of available funds
3. UTILITIES REQUEST – When a member in the body desires assistance with their utilities, the following dollar amounts and conditions shall be considered toward such, and the dollar amount shall not exceed these listed below:
a. Light bill not to exceed $300.00
b. Gas bill not to exceed $300.00
c. Water bill not to exceed $300.00
4. MORTGAGE, RENT OR LEASE PAYMENT REQUEST
a. Assistance amount should be determined according to the need and available cash
b. If request is granted, check should be made payable to Mortgage Company, Landlord, or Lessor
c. Benevolence payment not to exceed $300.00
d. The Mortgage, Rent, or Lease should be in the name of the requestor. A mortgage statement or lease should be obtained.
5. NO ASSISTANCE/PAYMENT MADE TOWARDS FOLLOWING:
a. Telephone bills
b. Car Payments
c. Personal or Consumer Loans
d. NSF (non sufficient funds) Checks
e. Funeral expenses (with exception if deceased is a member) not to exceed $300.00
f. Out-of-town travel expenses
g. School tuitions, daycare
6. Ministry shall be provided by an authorized person or persons appointed by the Bishop or Assistant Pastor. Depending on the nature of the challenge and circumstances surrounding, ministry should be done by gender (i.e. man to man, woman to woman). Ministry should be recommended to the applicant for the needed area.
7. REQUEST BY NON-MEMBERS shall be considered if they attend services on a regular basis. The first priority is to our members.
8. After the final decision is made, all completed forms should be turned over to the treasurer for processing. Forms for Applicants that do not meet guidelines should include explanation for denial. For applicants that meet guidelines the Treasurer will inform the Membership Coordinator/Assistant Pastor.